Lytham Memorial Garden is a compact, formal garden, right at the heart of Lytham Town Centre and adjacent to the Market Square.
As the name suggests, it’s also where you’ll find the town war memorial.
In 2007, the garden was fully restored, thanks to funding from Fylde Council and the sterling efforts of the local community, driven by huge efforts from the Lytham in Bloom team. The restoration included refurbishment of the war memorial, paths, fencing, furniture, lawns, lighting, drainage and seasonal bedding schemes.
The land where the gardens stand today has been a part of the Lytham landscape since the early 1800’s, with the market hall being built in 1848 – it’s still in use today as shops and offices.
By the end of the 1800’s a Memorial Drinking Fountain had been placed on the site (round about 1882) to commemorate John Talbot Clifton of Lytham Hall. It remained a feature of the gardens until 1920 when it was moved to Station Square to make space for the War Memorial, erected to commemorate those lost in the First World War.
As with most other war memorials, the names of those lost in World War Two were later added, and it’s been further altered to include those lost to the present day.
The Water Fountain and the War Memorial are both grade II listed.
The address for Lytham Memorial Garden is Market Square, Lytham, FY8 5LW