Witch Wood is what’s left of The Big Wood which was once the west and south boundary of Lytham Hall Home Park.
When Guardian Royal Exchange took over the Clifton Estate in 1963, the council gifted the remaining derelict wood to Lytham St Annes Civic Society as a woodland walk for the local community.
Over the years, the Society has done huge amounts of work to clear undergrowth, create paths and work with Network Rail to make a continuous walk from Ansdell to Lytham.
The woodland was opened by Prince Phillip in 1974.
Looking after Witch Wood
Lytham St Annes Civic Society has continued to maintain the wood, with advice and grants from the Forestry Commission.
Victims of Dutch Elm Disease have been removed, sycamore have been replaced with native species like oak and beech.
The Society bore the cost, which reached over £5000, of replacing the main path with a recycled product called Top Trek.
Improvements have been made with the help of Lancashire Wildlife Trust to complete a new section of path near the school fence opposite the cricket field. That was paid for by a grant from the Lancashire Environmental Fund. To the appreciation of walkers, this path completes the trail through the length of the wood.
Witch Wood – Site of Special Scientific Interest
Witch Wood is part is a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
The wood is also protected a by tree preservation order.
These beautiful views of Witch Wood were captured by Visit Fylde Coast contributor, Kate Yates:
Why is it called Witch Wood?
Witch Wood was named after a favourite horse of the Clifton family called ‘The Witch’.
It fell in the wood on 5 January 1888 and is buried there. Have you found the gravestone?
Find out More
More about Witch Wood on the Lytham St Annes Civic Society website.
Witch Wood, Lytham
Address: Bridge Rd, Lytham Saint Annes FY8 4EQ