Lytham In Bloom

Lytham In Bloom

Lytham in Bloom is a registered charity with 14 members and operates only in Lytham. The Charity was formed in 1998.

Lytham in Bloom win Gold

Lytham’s army of gardening volunteers have won gold in the ‘small coastal resort’ category of the national Britain in Bloom competition – and will be entered next year in the Champion of Champions section.

Lytham in Bloom Team, Winners in 2015

The Royal Horticultural Society awards, presented in Sunderland, saw Lytham compete against North Berwick; Dartmouth; St Brelade, Jersey; St Pierre du Bois, Guernsey; and Whitby.

Jim Leak, Lytham In Bloom chairman, said: ‘Dozens of helpers and hundreds of supporters have worked tirelessly. Lytham has looked superb all spring, summer and autumn.

‘Someone said Fylde is now Britain’s In Bloom borough and I have to agree. Lytham’s fantastic committee has led the way but the whole of Fylde has been looking better and better each year.

‘The Lytham committee could not have done it without help from Axa, Fylde Council, Kirkham prison and hundreds of other volunteers. This award is recognition for all of them.

‘The judges were looking for more than just flower beds and hanging baskets. They also looked at allotments, parks, involvement by the community, street cleaning, recycling and general environmental quality.

“We’ll be going all out in next year’s Champion of Champions section which will pit us against winning towns in other categories. The judges told us that Lytham In Bloom’s template is a good one: we just have to work harder than ever and I’m sure we’ll be doing that.’

Lytham in Bloom volunteers will now fly Britain In Bloom’s Gold Flag in Lowther Gardens.

Councillor Cheryl Little, chairman of Fylde Council’s Tourism and Leisure Committee, said: ‘What an incredible honour! Lytham will be extremely proud of its volunteers on achieving this major award. We have the regional In Bloom awards coming up later this month and I’m sure that other towns and villages will also excel.

‘They have really made Fylde look excellent in recent years. Fylde residents know how beautiful the area is – and now we have national recognition. It is all a fantastic reflection on the hard work of individuals and community groups. They all deserve the borough’s thanks.’

Read More

Join Lytham in Bloom on Facebook

Follow Lytham in Bloom on Twitter @Lytham_in_Bloom

Lytham in Bloom website

More About Lytham in Bloom

Over the years we have been responsible for completing the following projects;-

– Refurbishment of the Cenotaph Gardens,
– Library Gardens,
– St Cuthberts Cross,
– The Triangle,
– all the shelters on Lytham sea front
– and many more…

Lytham in Bloom

On going projects include:-

– The repointing of Clifton Square (Piazza) in conjunction with Lancashire County Council
– Lytham Railway Station
– Repainting of the fencing around the Cenotaph Gardens
– All the public seating and flower planters are being repainted by the teams from Kirkham Open Prison with stain, brushes etc paid for by Fylde Borough Council.

Our total aim is to make Lytham a better place for both residents and visitors.

Lytham in Bloom

The hard work of the Lytham in Bloom team has been recognised with Lytham being awarded the following by The RHS Britain in Bloom National Awards:

– Gold award winners 2010 and 2012.

– In 2013 we have been entered into the the special award group named Champion of Champions, only five towns in the whole of the UK have been chosen to take part. The judging takes place on the 31st July, 2013.

– In the International Communities in Bloom held in Quebec Canada in 2011 Lytham won the top award of five blooms.

– We have also won the Gold award from North West in Bloom for the last nine years.

The Champion of Champions competition is well covered by the media, Press, TV and radio, in fact Radio Lancashire has broadcasted from Lytham twice this year and further visits are planned leading up to our judging dates.

A very big well done to all the members of the Lytham in Bloom team for such a fantastic display that transforms Lytham town centre each year with flowers, and to all their helpers and supporters from local organisations and businesses.

Memorial Garden Lytham, 2015Memorial Garden Lytham, 2015

A floral Lytham Windmill from Lytham in BloomA floral Lytham Windmill from Lytham in Bloom

A floral man on a bike from Lytham in Bloom in 2012A floral man on a bike from Lytham in Bloom in 2012

Town centre hanging baskets from Lytham in BloomTown centre hanging baskets from Lytham in Bloom

2 Comments
  1. Good afternoon,

I hope you are well, my name is Jonas and I work for the YMCA, basically my role is to try get people in the community of Fylde & Wyre involved in sport and promote what opportunities are around in the area.

Having spoken with several staff and friends throughout Fylde whilst being active on social media I am aware of the great work you and your colleagues do around the Fylde and surrounding areas.

I wanted to make you aware of a one of event on Saturday the 25th of August from ParkView in Lytham which we are running where you can showcase the great work you do.

The main event will run from 10.00 – 16.00 and we have access to the majority of the park and and eco pod, we are expecting a large number of families attending this event (weather depending) we will be running free sporting events for anyone and everyone with all profits going to ParkView.

Would this event be of interest for you in promoting the work you do and how people can get involved?

Please feel free to bring nay banners/leaflets down to showcase the work you do if you wish to attend.

I look forward to hearing from you.

1. Hi Jonas – thanks for your comment but you need to contact the Lytham in Bloom team directly. Good luck with your event!

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *